Monday, May 13, 2013

Viva Vigan!



My Recent Escapade: Vigan City


Viva Vigan! It's on my bucket-list! I have always wanted to visit Vigan and I thank GMA for this opportunity to step on the grounds of Vigan City in Ilocos Sur. 

Visiting the place is one my most memorable experience I have in GMA.


I was chosen as one of the field reporters for the World Costume Festival which was held for the first time in Vigan.

Vigan is one of world's most preserved heritage site as declared by United Nations.

The old town is approximately 8 to 10 hours ride from Manila. Just in case you are lost, you will need a google map/ iPhone maps, a good Internet connection and a fully charged phone. Yes! We got lost on our way to Vigan.



Getting around Vigan, first of all you need to hydrate and protect your skin. You would need a hat. Which you can buy at around 50-100 pesos only.


By the way, I was with my sister, Grace, touring around the heritage site.


We will need a ride. Kalesa ride for an hour rent costs 150php.

There is a way of figuring out whether the horse is make or female. Female horses have flowers placed on her head. See?


 

There's a difference between the terms 'Kalesa' and 'karwahe' although sometimes used interchangeably. A Kalesa is more of a public transport and a Karwahe is private and high-end/ high quality ride for high class citizens long time ago.

 

I recommend that you should never leave the city without taking a marvelous time touring around Vigan on board a Kalesa.
It's amazing!


First stop, National Museum located at Padre Burgos Street. Get to know more about Padre Burgos and his life.

 

 

 
Next, the Basilica.

 

The very old Bell Tower. Beside me (left) is Mrs. Cecille Quibod-Castro of GMA Cebu. 

At nighttime, it's best to stroll around because it's cold and cozy. Night market comes to life.


Abel Ilocano is a must-have souvenir along with longganisa,empanadas and chichacorn.



More souvenirs ...

 

 

As for food, it's relatively cheaper in Vigan. Plus, they don't take advantage of the festival and raise they're prices.

Another must-visit, Tummy Talk and must-try food, yang chow Bagnet.

 

There you have it! I hope this will help especially to those who plan to visit Vigan soon.

By the way, here's some camera shots behind the scenes of the Viva Vigan World Costume Festival Special Coverage with Denielle Magno, GMA Dagupan.


Til my next trip!

Xoxo,

Cherry Maning


(5/5/2013)

4 comments:

  1. Hello I'am Chris From France!!
    You Have A Wonderful Blog Which I Consider To Be Registered In International Blog Dictionary. You Will Represent Your Country
    Please Visit The Following Link And Comment Your Blog Name
    Blog Url
    Location Of Your Country Operating In Comment Session Which Will Be Added In Your Country List
    On the right side, in the "green list", you will find all the countries and if you click them, you will find the names of blogs from that Country.
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/
    Happy Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherry. Those are splendid photos of your Vigan trip! It's one of the places I really wanted to go, something like making a Laoag-Vigan "Ilocandia" trip. I've been wanting to go there and I'm just waiting for the next opportunity.

    They say it's extremely hot there; is that the case?

    By the way, I came across your blog from somewhere. Cheers!

    ~ Jakey Junkie (http://jakeyjunkie.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! cool photos in Vigan :) I wish I can visit the place :)

    Tampa Hair Salons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos you take, it's captivating and pleasing in the eyes. I just cannot help myself from giving this comments ^_^

    ~" Sa Mata ng Isang Probinsiyana "~

    .

    ReplyDelete

Leave some LOVE c",)